Archive for the ‘Decor’ Category
This is the year of the Baby in my family. Four babies will be born in 2008. The current score is 2 out and 2 to go.
I notice that the moms-to-be are all different and yet the same.
I have noticed that pregnant women like (not in any order):
- Consuming food they would not normally eat. One of my cousins loves sweet desserts (sidebar: does not include any sweet vegetable, which she already found utterly disgusting), especially an occasional cookie or yellow cake with lemon frosting. Currently, she is totally disgusted by any sweet food or drink. She told me she is buying juice that with 17g-25g of sugar (no high fructose corn syrup.) Very cool to me! My favorite cousin was chowing down on soul food in her first trimester, which is funny because she does not normally eat soul food.
- Banana Republic – Two of my cousins have been going to Banana Republic to purchase maternity clothes. (No, BR does not sell maternity clothes) The blouson tops and dresses allow them to hit up the clearance rack for cute clothes without having to spend the high price of maternity branded clothes.
- Pregnancy websites and blogs. Books are great, but pregnant women love to read these websites and blogs because they get updated information and cool 3-D womb shots and fetal development e-mails. Check out Nymbler (a baby naming tool, quite innovative. Select your names that you like and the wizard will help you find other names that you might like) and BabyCenter.com
- Guilt – This can be a valuable tool when asking husband to trek in the middle of the night to get food or get a glass of water downstairs in the kitchen. This should be used sparingly because you do not want to cause any feelings of resentment.
- Looking at paint store websites. My favorite cousin’s latest obsession (again) is BenjaminMoore.com. She loves to decorate anyway and pregnancy has brought on a new project for her. She has been creating different color combos for me to check out. Oh fun times!!
- Watching or recording the Baby Story on TLC. My cousin told me about how some of these women, the first-timers, want to have natural, drug-free delivery. I asked her would she do that and her answer is “HELL NOOOOO!!”
- Shopping for nursery furniture. (see #5)
- Shopping for baby clothes and accessories
- Expensive diaper bags. On my cousin’s wish list: A Louis Vuitton Diaper bag (that is a no-go area) or a Coach (more acceptable)
- Talking about their pregnancies. My fave cousin finds this conversation tends to be initiated by friends who already have kids and want to tell her about what they went through. She finds most of the information irrelevant to her situation.
I will update from time to time. Fun learning new things about motherhood.
Happy Monday Glossy Ones,
Hope you all had a great weekend!
I love a song that celebrates women. Here is the adorable Raheen Devaughn with “You.” I love the first line of the song and the groove is hot.
My Mother is a huge fan of Annie Lee art. She loves that there are no faces – “If I want faces, I will put pictures of family up!” I spent the majority of the weekend with her looking for a frame for “Drip Dry.”
Sites say it is 24×36, but that does not take into account the write trim around the actual pictures. Whew! Finally found a frame and it looks great. Black frame with a black mat – perfection!
Why did I post this picture? Because I need your help with figuring something out. We see the lady washing clothes – what exactly is the child doing in the picture? My guess is that the child is supposed to be potty training, but is playing instead. I will write Annie Lee and see what she says!
WEDNESDAY MORNING UPDATE: My Mom called the official Annie Lee website – the person who answered wasn’t sure, so Annie Lee was called to give the answer! Annie Lee said that the baby is supposed to be potty training, but instead the baby is pulling the sheets off the line/playing; as soon as the mother hangs a sheet, the baby pulls one down.
Here is another cute pic my Mom got by Annie – it is called “Burn Ya Baby?”
That was me many a day when I was a child!
THOUGHTS TO PONDER
“To ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it.” ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (source)
“What’s truly audacious is to believe that something different is possible, to hope, to aspire, to change.” ~ Senator Barack Obama (source)
“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll ed up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” ~ Oprah Winfrey (source)
I posted a beautiful blue and brown comforter set last week. I came across this one on the JCPenny site. Different pattern, but the same colors are there:
I found this combination on Target.com:
Blue comforter set, brown sheets and accent pillows. Great look!
I love this gymshoe – it immediately caught my eye in the store Saturday. The Nike Dart V comes in a couple of colors, but my fave is the Clay/Garnet.
I love the berry color of these Steven Madden “Blazzin” pumps.
These pumps can be found on Macys.com for $74.25.
A WORD FROM T.D. JAKES
“You CAN Recover From A Fall” – A Word we can all use! “Let the haters hate” – alright now!
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
~ Matthew 7:12
Have a Wonderful Week!
Happy Labor Day Glossy Ones!
For all my working people, in honor of Labor Day, here’s Vanessa Williams performing “Work To Do.” Check out the music video here.
TEN WAYS TO BE YOUR VERY BEST - by Jeness Ruhanen, from TopTen.org
- Practice Extreme Self Care.
- Create 10 Delightful Daily Habits.
- Get Rid of Stuff You Do Not Need.
- Get Rid of Commitments You Do Not Want.
- Be Clear on what You want for Your Life.
- Get Organized.
- Take Care of Your Needs
- Elminate Things You are Putting Up With.
- Celebrate Your Success.
- Laugh Often.
See each item in detail here.
DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT – ANIMALISTIC
I received an ad from Newport News showing different outfit combinations in shades of brown. Called “Touches of Animal,” this collection screams “Fall” to me.
I know that’s pretty small, so go here to get a better view.
I especially love this leopard print skirt. Not too long, not too short. Gotta have it! This skirt comes in Misses Sizes 2-18 and Women’s Sizes 14W – 24W.
I received the Midnight Velvet Fall Catalog recently and saw this fabulous comforter set.
I love the brown and blue combination. I can see blue candles to match on my night stands. Just as I was about to order this, my Mom surprised me with this duvet set from Target for my birthday last week…
I am a huge fan of butterflies and my Mom’s thoughtfulness certainly touched my heart. At the same time, I am still longing for the blue and brown. I would put one in the guest room, but Hubby and I have a tropical theme and neither of the prints coordinate with the room. I’ll just watch Midnight Velvet to see if they mark it down. Christmas will be here before we know it – I am going to have to be a good girl for the rest of the year so Santa can bring it to me!
JOY’S BOOT PICK
I get e-mails from Dr. Jay’s on a regular basis. Urban wear for women, men and children, Dr. Jay’s is the site for clothes, shoes, and accessories. This Timberland Boot was featured in the most recent e-mail I received and it was love at first sight.
Who knew a Timberland boot could be so hot?! It also comes in light caramel suede and black leather.
Maybelline SuperStay Lip Color in Violet
0.077 Ounces of Lip Color and 0.063 Ounces of Moisturizer Sealer
Purchased for $3.48 on Clearance at Target – Regular Price was $6.99 (Picture is from Walgreens.com. where the price is $9.49)
Sticky? – Lip Color = Yes, Moisturizer = No
Shimmer? – No
Applicator – Brush for Lip Color; “Chapstick” Application for Moisturizer
Buy Other Colors? – Yes
Buy Second Tube? – Yes
Thoughts – I bought this Lip Color doubting that the color would last. I am now a believer! I cannot rave about this product enough! The lip color is applied with a brush -it goes on silky smooth and within two minutes, it becomes dry and sticky. Apply the moisturizer and your lips are smooth with a touch of shine. The color lasts for up to 16 hours. I drank out of cups and there was no color left on the rim! You will need to apply the moisturizer every now and again for shine. Maybelline sells a product that will remove the color. I used baby oil and it came right off. Overall, I give this product an A. This product is available as a lip gloss – I will be purchasing it and letting you all know about it!
I LOVE this song! “Encourage Yourself” is by Donald Lawrence and The Tri-City Singers.
“Sometimes you have to encourage yourself.
Sometimes you have to speak victory during the test.
And no matter how you feel,
Speak the Word and you will be healed.
Speak over yourself,
Encourage yourself in the Lord.”
“But Remember Giants, they do fall!”
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. ~ Galatians 6:9
Have a wonderful week! Be Encouraged!
The ladies of Pumps & Gloss have been pondering the question, “What if we won the Powerball lottery for $365 Million?” We know we have to pay off student loans, mortgages and other loans, and give money to the church (cause you have to do that, even if your church preaches against gambling, because churches always need money….And the pastor is thinking “the church needs a new furnace, I hope they will contribute more to the building fund.”) After doing all of the above, we all came up with a wish list of items that we all would like to have.
Mix Maven loves to decorate, so the first item on the list is the Henredon sectional for the basement renovation.
Mix Maven says, “this sectional has a casual elegance fit for family and guests.”
The other selection on Mix Maven’s wish list is a sexy Christian Louboutin brown snakeskin pump. The pumps really speak for themselves. She exclaims, “Love them!!”
Joyful Radiance selected BMW X5 SUV for her wishlist. Ms. Radiance says, “there is something sexy about a silver ride.”
Joyful Radiance also selected the Gucci Britt High-Heel Sandal for her wish list.
Joyful quips that this sexy sandal is “haute and hot.” Joyful Radiance maybe the Encouragement Guru, but in the Gucci Britt sandal, she will give Sensual Element a run for her money.
Since Soul Star is the Entertainment Guru, her first wishlist item is a 52-inch flat-panel TV for her new home theater.
Soul Star’s next wish is a trip to a luxury resort in Jamaica for Reggae SunSplash.
Soul Soul implores all “get away for some fun!”
Sensual Element just loves this car. She reminds us, “this would be my summer car.”
She also wants the Manolo Blahnik snakeskin sandal.
Ms. Sensual Element suggests, “when you want fun on the town, [wear these shoes.]” With this wish list selection, Sensual Element will retain her title as Enticement Guru.
While we may never win the lottery, especially since most of the ladies do not play; we, the ladies of Pumps and Gloss, believe in the possibility of the dream. We implore you to dream big dreams or better yet, allow God to dream a bigger dream for you. As Gloria Steinem once said, “Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.” So go forth and turn your dreams into reality!